1. Being prepared and ready at the start of your lesson makes sure that you get the most out of your time.
2. Be in the habit of keeping all things needed for your lesson in one place (backpack or tote bag). This will ensure that everything is remembered on lesson day, so you can show off everything you’ve been working on!
3. A regular and scheduled practice time each day will help you gain consistent practice. It helps to treat it as an appointment with yourself. The time doesn’t have to be the same each day, but should be put in your calendar. Because you are training muscles to move in new, very specialized ways, it is essential that you spend some time practicing every day.
4. A parent’s involvement in a child’s music lessons is crucial to success. Take time to listen to your child play and help your child to practice steadily. Engage in musical games, and enjoy some concerts together.
5. Consistency is of the utmost importance both in practice and in lesson taking. Even if you feel that you have not accomplished all that you wanted in the time between lessons, there are many goals which can be reached together at the lesson.
It is very important that you maintain a steady schedule so that proper techniques and habits may be established. For this reason, please make every effort to schedule other appointments around your scheduled lesson times.
Stay in touch, and bring some music in to your life!